Should you use Webflow?
Webflow is promoted as a no-code tool to create websites, especially good for designers, but in reality, there are still a lot of things you need to know about coding and SEO to be able to create a well-performing website. In this article, we’ll cover what is Webflow and who should be using it.
What is Webflow?
Webflow is a no-code tool to create websites and lately, even web apps. It is launched in 2013 and since then it continues to deliver more and more revolutionary results with website creation. Without a question, Webflow is the best and most promising no-code tool on the market right now, but it has its limitations. We’re just recently introduced a possibility to create accounts, more flexible backend possibilities, more animation options, and multiple people working at the same time option, but they are all still in beta at the moment.
Even though Webflow is extremely popular right now it is still not the No. 1 tool for most website creators. According to Google, WordPress is still the most used tool with an astonishing 43,2% of all websites that exist created there, while Webflow is only 0,6%. But since WordPress is launched in 2003 and it was the only tool to create websites without code at that time it’ll take some time for Webflow to catch up with a number of people using it. Webflow is for example, far better for creating modern websites and much easier to handle by someone who never used Webflow in the admin panel.
Who should be using Webflow?
In theory, everyone can create a website in Webflow. You don’t need too much time to learn how to use it and you can also use templates to quickly create something that suits your needs, but in reality, it’s not that simple. To use Webflow well and create a successful website you need to know basic coding, sometimes even advanced, you also need to know how SEO works, UI/UX design, graphic design, etc. because that is all required if you want to be able to create a modern and successful website.
If you don’t know any of the things mentioned you’ll run into a lot of problems, such as:
- Bad website performance and almost not existing on search engines
- Inability to create complex animations and interactions
- Lack of knowledge about organizing classes and style guides properly which can create a mess if you update your website often
- Inability to add shortcodes for some features like sharing the post to social media and similar
- Not enough knowledge about how to solve some problems that you run into, and many more.
Webflow should be used by people that want to learn how to create websites and are not afraid of learning the basics of coding as well as for developers who already know how to code. It is definitely not for people who just want to create a website fast. Don’t get this too personal, you can still use Webflow to create a quick and easy website, but that kind of website is mostly for temporary use it should not be permanent or long-term. Instead, spend more time learning everything about it or if you don’t have time, hire someone to do it for you.
Why should you choose Webflow to build your website?
There are many reasons why Webflow is a great platform to build your website and here are a couple of them:
- Cloud-based hosting - This is one of the best perks of using Webflow. It makes your website very fast and secure which is not the case with other no-code platforms.
- Admin panel - One the website is built it’s very easy to update everything on it, including CMS without affecting the design at all. The best thing about this is that it looks like you’re opening your website in a browser and directly clicking on an image or text you can just edit it from there, it’s that easy.
- Award winning websites - Not many no-code platforms can do a lot of modern interactions and animations without plugins or some code and in Webflow you can do a lot of them. There are a lot of websites that are recognized by some prestigious award companies like Awwwards and CSS Design Awards. Try going to webflow.com/made-in-webflow to see what people can build.
- Fast website development - The most famous thing about Webflow is how fast you can create a website there. In literally a couple of hours, people can develop a landing page, which is pretty much amazing. This is one of the reasons why we at Broworks choose Webflow as our only website development tool.
- Great community - You can learn a lot about Webflow from Webflow itself on their Youtube channel and they have outstanding community on their forum that covered almost every aspect of Webflow and common problems people are facing.
To sum up, Webflow is a great tool to create high-quality and safe websites that are easy to edit and fast to develop. There is not one single reason to not use it unless you’re planning to build a web app in which case needs to be done in Flutter, but very soon, that’ll be possible in Webflow as well.